Usually the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded to those who have done the most in the promotion of world peace. Usually. It is truly odd when a recipient is hailed in the media as a “dissident”. Traditionally, a dissident is not seen as someone who brokers peace. But it would seem that, in truth, disagreements are seen as the pathway to peace and confrontation certainly has its rewards. Food for thought.
Congratulations to the incarcerated Chinese citizen, Liu Xiaobo on the award.
Ask the Gold Medallists
I’m certainly proud to see a Nigerian do well at the commonwealth games currently holding in Delhi, India. We all know the drill of things that will follow – presidential or at the very least, stately handshakes, product endorsements, promises of gifts and heaven… But nobody will really ask the pertinent questions about how she achieved such a feat and how we can help others do the same. But the world goes on and politicians in Nigeria love a winner. And we continue to have flash-in-the-pan gold medals…
- Chinese dissident wins peace prize [Zahir shamsery] (ecademy.com)
- Granting of Nobel Peace Prize to Chinese dissident causes political uproar (holykaw.alltop.com)
- Chinese Dissident Dedicates Nobel Peace Prize To Tianamen Square Victims (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Ignoble reactions to the Nobel Peace Prize (newstatesman.com)
- China media slam Nobel Peace Prize for dissident (theprovince.com)
- Pelosi notes Peace Prize win by Chinese dissident (thehill.com)
- DEFIANCE AWARDED – Chinese Dissident Liu Xiaobo (ki-media.blogspot.com)
- The Norwegians can award the Nobel to a Chinese dissident, but the rest of the world can’t afford to be so critical of China. (slate.com)
- BREAKING: Chinese dissident Lin Xiaobo wins 2010 Nobel Peace Prize (economy4abc.blogspot.com)
- China Puts Dissident’s Nobel Peace Prize Winner’s Wife Under House Arrest (shoppingblog.com)